Stephaniemiller

Stephanie's books and other things

I like books. I like art. I have opinions.....you've been warned.

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
Tavis Smiley, Cornel West
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
Stephen King, Jae Lee
Hazel Harrison
The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces
Tom Richmond (Illustrator)
The Mammoth Hunters - Jean M. Auel ***Spoilers, maybe***

What did I learn from the first three books of this series?

Ayla is Jesus……I know!

Well there is a little more to it I suppose.

The first book in the series “Clan of the Cave Bear” is about the life of a young human child, Ayla, who due to an earthquake, is orphaned and then is raised by a group of Neanderthals. Ayla, inventing feminism, goes against the rules of the “Clan” and does a bunch of stuff women of the Clan are not supposed to do, like hunting and speaking her mind.

This pisses off the next in line to be leader of the Clan, Broud (I think). He hates her so much for her independence and intelligence, he invents rape to punish her. What a Neanderthal!

She then gets pregnant with Broud’s child “Dirk“, and prejudice is introduced to the world. Now, all those who walk on their hind legs believe that spirits and/or totems mix to make a baby…..but not Ayla, she is the first to figure out how babies are made.

In “Valley of the Horses”, Ayla has been kicked out of the Clan and forced to leave her son Dirk behind. She adopts an orphaned foal (she orphaned it!), tames it and invents horseback riding. She smacks two stones, flint and Iron pyrite together and is the first to discover that you can make a real quick fire with it. Then she adopts an orphaned Cave Lion (she orphaned it too!) and becomes the worlds first Siegfried, or maybe, Roy.

But then she saves a man of the “others” from her Cave Lion named Baby, who turns out could have had a few more obedience classes. His name is Jondalahar. She discovers great sex, and it all goes down hill from there. Oh they still invent stuff, the spear thrower for example, but now it’s all……giant shaft….blah, blah, blah….. deep warm cleft……yada, yada…….erect pink nipple. ….

Boring.

In “The Mammoth Hunters” it’s more of the same old great sex, with the addition of a black man to spice things up. Boring. Every man wants her. What else is new.

Yeah she invents the needle and thread, ho hum. It’s the fact that all the people she currently hangs with in this book decides she just maybe “the Great Mother incarnate” that is the exciting thing.

Jesus. Just way earlier in a woman’s body.