Stephaniemiller

Stephanie's books and other things

I like books. I like art. I have opinions.....you've been warned.

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
Tavis Smiley, Cornel West
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
Stephen King, Jae Lee
Hazel Harrison
The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces
Tom Richmond (Illustrator)
Will Grayson, Will Grayson - 'John Green',  'David Levithan' Will Grayson, Will Grayson. A book so nice they named it twice. Sorry, I had to do it.

There are two Will Graysons, who live in the Chicago area. One straight, one gay. Their paths cross under odd circumstances and their lives intertwine. WG#1 (straight one) has a best friend named Tiny Cooper, who is also gay. Tiny is named as such because he is 300+ pounds, and fabulous.

This book had some great, laugh out loud, moments. I liked the style. All the characters were well done....I liked them all. Well, except for Tiny. I found him completely unlikeable. He came across as selfish and pretentious. Shoot, he wrote a musical about his own, young life. Convinced his high school to put it on. He directs and stars in it....because it's about him. Him and love.

That seems over the top to me. What high school would do that?

Now, as you might imagine, this book has some gay relationships in it. To my surprise, mind you, I found this to disturb me (mildly)at first. I have no problems with gay relationships. I work in the art field, so I have many gay friends. I have a gay brother, and consider his partner of over ten years as brother as well. So I thought....What the Hell?

Then something else occurred to me......if reading about gay people together makes me unreasonably uncomfortable, it probably has not been fun for gay people for a very long time. The majority of books out there are hetero, and gay people have had to read about straight relationships for years because there was nothing else. Not cool.

Altogether, I liked this book quite a bit.