Stephaniemiller

Stephanie's books and other things

I like books. I like art. I have opinions.....you've been warned.

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
Tavis Smiley, Cornel West
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
Stephen King, Jae Lee
Hazel Harrison
The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces
Tom Richmond (Illustrator)
The Dyslexic Advantage: Unlocking the Hidden Potential of the Dyslexic Brain - Brock L. Eide, Fernette Eide Hello, my name is Stephanie and I'm a Dyslexic.

I really didn't know this fact for sure until reletivly recently. For instance, I didn't know I was in a special reading class when I was young until my mom told me so a couple of years ago.

Dyslexia. Really. Sucks.

It has made my life more difficult than it would have been otherwise. School, 1st through 12th, was not fun. It has been a big pain in the ass in the work place as well.

I am not so dyslexic that I am disabled (I am typing this) though I have met a couple of people who were. My issues are just annoying enough to cause problems. For me, I confuse left and right constantly. More of a problem then you think.

I cannot spell. Now when I tell people this, they laugh and say....yeah, neither can I.....hahaaha. "no, you're not hearing me. I really can't spell, it's not that I don't try, I just can't do it". Then when confronted with one of my creations, they will laugh and point out the misspelling, making me feel stupid. I want to yell "Hey asshat, I told you I can't spell so fuck off!" But I don't. It upsets me.

Most jobs that are easy for the general population are hell for me. Which is why I suck at most "jobs". For instance, I have a friend here on the GRs that can listen to audiobooks while typing in numbers, data. WTF?? That blows my mind, because entering in numbers, in specific order would take every ounce of my concentration. The horror.

So, when I saw the title of this book I had to read it because I have not experienced any particular advantage with the way my brain is wired. What I do well with this particular "advantage" is I am very mechanically minded. Spacial is my thing. I can draw, paint. I like to sculpt as well though I haven't done much in that lately. I make a living (kind of) as an artist because, I really don't feel I have many other choices.

It would have been easier if I were like most everybody else, but life is more interesting because I'm not.

This book is great, and I love the author for pointing out the good stuff associated with dyslexia and how we are as smart as the rest of you. Today, with more knowledge like this, kids with dyslexia will have the fighting chance that I didn't get.