Stephaniemiller

Stephanie's books and other things

I like books. I like art. I have opinions.....you've been warned.

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
Tavis Smiley, Cornel West
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
Stephen King, Jae Lee
Hazel Harrison
The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces
Tom Richmond (Illustrator)
Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America - Robert Whitaker Anatomy of an Epidemic is about the history of psychiatric drugs and the rise of mental illness in America right alongside these drugs development and evolution. 1'100 adults and CHILDREN are added to the government's disabled list for mental illness, daily. This didn't happen prior to 25 years ago, before big pharmaceutical companies saw $$ with the release of Prozac. Before Prozac , Eli-Lilly's biggest money maker was an antibiotic.

I realize many people have benefited from these drugs. They have pulled people out of very deep, menacing pits of hell. The issue is that people are put on these drugs to quickly, sometimes, which spurs an onslaught of more and more powerful drugs.

In Europe they prescribe, exercise first…… Huh……. Talk to the patient first, figure out what’s going on, and then lastly, prescribe drugs, if they are needed.
Manic depression used to be rare. They renamed it Bi-polar, and is much more common now. Why? Follow the money. Drug companies are in business for profit, so the more customers the better off they are. They downgraded the criteria that needed to be met for manic depression and renamed it bi-polar disorder, which gained them some new customers. Now, this new disease needs a magic bullet pill to fix the problem, presto! Money for the drug companies…..everybody is happy, until they have to take new drugs to fend off the side effects…..and those drugs have side effects…..and so on.

Kids as young as TWO are now being are prescribed psychotropic drugs. Two seems a bit too young to me to have brain altering chemicals in brains that aren’t nearly finished forming yet.

What some doctors are doing, and what I think should be done, is a much more cautious approach in the use for these drugs. First episode, do some talk therapy and prescribe exercise (proven to work by the way). If that doesn't do the trick, then drugs, low doses. Once balanced, get weaned off the drugs. No one is meant to be on these pills indefinitely. Eventually you become tolerant to what you are taking and then need something stronger, or additional. You can end up worse off than where you started.

And that, as the kids say, would suck.