Stephaniemiller

Stephanie's books and other things

I like books. I like art. I have opinions.....you've been warned.

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
Tavis Smiley, Cornel West
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
Stephen King, Jae Lee
Hazel Harrison
The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces
Tom Richmond (Illustrator)
Looking for Alaska - John Green This review will be somewhat of a spoiler. Don’t read it unless you’ve read the book or don’t want to. You have been warned.

“Poof……….and you’re gone.”

This was a line in the book that described death, sudden death in particular. It’s sounds just about right to me. It is exactly that. One moment there was a person, full of life, and then the next moment that person ceases to exist. It’s a difficult thing to wrap your head around.

In Looking for Alaska there is a sudden, stupid death and I thought John Green told that story perfectly. The reactions of the characters were spot on. Shock, horror, disbelief, anger all come first, mostly its disbelief. In fact, so spot on that it took me right back to a time when this happened to me. It felt like John grabbed a hold of my shoulders and pushed me back in time twenty years. One of the characters said something like “No, no….you’re lying . He/she isn’t dead, their playing a joke. It’s not possible their dead, stop lying to me.”

I said the same thing to the coroner.

Shit like that will change a person. The change is immediate and it’s permanent. I am not the same person I was before that moment, that girl is dead and gone. A big piece of me is missing…….and in many ways I’m a stuck back there. Which brings me to my one complaint about Looking for Alaska, I thought these characters (I’m trying not to use names, so that I don’t completely ruin it) seem to get back to their scampery and pranks a tad too soon for my taste. I didn’t buy that they would even care about that kind of stuff anymore. But then again, it makes for a better book, having things happen.

Overall, this is a very good book and I recommend it to everyone.