Stephaniemiller

Stephanie's books and other things

I like books. I like art. I have opinions.....you've been warned.

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
Tavis Smiley, Cornel West
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
Stephen King, Jae Lee
Hazel Harrison
The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces
Tom Richmond (Illustrator)
What I Saw and How I Lied - Judy Blundell What I Saw and How I lied is not going to end up as one of those books that returns to my thoughts now and again. It's perfectly forgettable.

This is a coming of age book set at the end of World War 2. Evie is a teen who's step father, Joe, has just come back from the war and he's not exactly the man she remembered. Joe decides that the family should have a vacation and then schleps himself, his wife, his mother and Evie to Palm Beach, Florida in the middle of god awful hot August In the days before air conditioning.

A handsome GI by the name of Peter shows up, who coincidentally (or not) served with Joe in the war, and catches young Evies eye. Before long she is madly in love.

This book is filled with lots of nostalgia, dresses with pumps dyed to match, red lipstick and lots of smoking. Future lung cancer victims of Ameerica. It was well written, but I don't think I fancied the style.

I liked it, it wasn't bad nor was it great. Meh.