Stephaniemiller

Stephanie's books and other things

I like books. I like art. I have opinions.....you've been warned.

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
Tavis Smiley, Cornel West
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
Stephen King, Jae Lee
Hazel Harrison
The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces
Tom Richmond (Illustrator)
If I Stay - Gayle Forman Mia and her family, father, Mother and younger brother go for a drive on a sunny morning after a light snowfall the night before. In a moment, their world is turned upside down in the form of a devastating car crash.

Mia finds herself watching her mangled body being pulled from the crash and follows what takes place in the hospital as she decides if she should stay in this life or to move on.

Mia has couple of reasons to stay, one is for music. She has a major talent for the cello and is about enter Julliard. Then there is her boyfriend who also has a talent for music, rock and roll, he and his band finds early success. He, of course, wants her to stay.

So, does she?

I read s bit about the author and I read a blog post or two by the author Gayle Forman. What I read made me like the book a bit more than I would have. First of all I learned that Gayle is a huge Joss Whedon fan (Buffy/Avengers) and that was a big plus. Second, I learned this book was a result of a personal tragedy. Her, and her husband’s close friends and children were involved in a devastating car crash that none survive. In addition, soon after, a friend and co-worker fell ill and passed away. All of this happened just weeks before September 11th, 2001.

This sadness and subsequent healing was channeled into If I Stay, and made it very special. Loved the book.